Apple has seeded the fifth beta of its upcoming operating systems to developers. This release comes exactly two weeks after the last beta. If you’re a member of the developer program you can install this over the air if you’re already running a previous beta on your devices. Alternatively, you can download the installation profiles from the developer portal on Apple’s website.
Apple has not released the fifth beta of macOS Monterrey or watchOS 8 today. For the platforms that did recieve updates today, various tweaks and bug fixes have been included. Here is a summary of the features discovered so far in beta 5:
- The weather icon has been tweaked with added transparency and a slightly darker background
- New splash screens for the home app, photos app and maps app
- When turning off your iPhone, you’re presented with a message that displays ‘iPhone Findable After Power Off’. Tapping the message display more information
- In the settings menu for Safari, under accessibility, a new option appears called ‘Show Colour in Top and Bottom Bars’
- In Safari the address bar is outlined with dark grey instead of being filled in
- The active tab in Safari has darker shading in the tab bar to make it clearer which tab is active
- In settings, you can now choose to use large icons on the home screens and dock without having to choose ‘display zoom’ for the rest of the user interface
- Various big fixes and enhancements
Apple demonstrated little in the way of new features for tvOS 15 when it was first announced at WWDC21. That being said there are several notable new features included such as SharePlay which allows multiple people to watch TV or movies together. Another welcome update is the ability to select a HomePod Mini as the default audio output when paired with an Apple TV.
Featured Image: Sara Kurfeß via Unsplash